Dragon Fin Soup: PAX Prime 2014 Preview
One highlight of PAX Prime 2014 was when Bell and I fought our way to the top floor to play Dragon Fin Soup by the indie dev studio, Grimm Bros. The game was successfully funded on Kickstarter April 14, 2014 with $119,719 pledged (498% funded).
Dragon Fin Soup is a mix-mash RPG that combines tactical combat on 2D maps, rogue-like elements, a badass crafting system, and an interesting twist on the fairy tale genre.
While there are other characters in development, Red Robin is the first and main playable character in the world of Asura. Red Robin is an adaptation of the classic Red Riding Hood fairy tale. In Dragon Fin Soup she is cheerful, raging alcoholic that makes a living as a sword for hire in a remote village.
The game features:
- 3 different modes – Story Mode, Survival Mode, and Endless Mode
- Fast paced tactical combat
- Procedurally generated maps and worlds each time you play
- Flawed heroes with unique storylines
- Day, night cycles and random weather
- Crafting, fishing, mining, digging, and cooking
- NPCs who can join your team
- Pets to join you in battle and aid in your quests
- Gorgeous art
While the Kickstarter campaign is long over you can currently become a Humble Bundle Slacker Backer and be eligible for many of the same rewards and prizes. Take advantage of this while you still can.
The Dragon Fin Soup Beta is coming soon. The final game is planned for release on PC/PS3/PS4/PSVita.